Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 25, 2010

The art of 'Thanksgiving'

Thursday, November 25, 2010... Thanksgiving...

This morning as the house was still, I am listening to Christmas music, sipping on a delicious cup of Earl Gray tea... with a hint of cream. One of my favorite things... enjoying a few solitary minutes reflecting on my many blessings, prior to engaging in the hectic game of life. A week ago I cooked a turkey for our department luncheon... as I left campus to run home, carve the turkey and return... I remember feeling so grateful for my warm sweater and heated seats as a very chilly north wind blew right through me. While waiting at a busy intersection listening to Christmas music I couldn't help notice a man standing in the center of the street, trying to get across before the turning signal turned green.. he was holding a tattered bag, his clothing was dirty and filled with holes. There was no question the arrival of cold weather had caught him off guard... yet I couldn't help but think... He probably doesn't have a winter coat, sweater, gloves... or a family at home waiting for him to return. I knew life was hard for this man.

I felt a pit in the middle of my stomach... My thoughts turned to how hard life can be for all of us at times. What happens in the lives of so many that they are out on the streets? Hard times, illness, homelessness, poverty, divorce, addictions, no family, few friends, loneliness, depression, unemployment and death.. As I drove home I decided to rekindle my relationship with my gratitude journal throughout this holiday season. In light of the problems around me... I turned my focus to the blessings of life. I was overwhelmed as I started taking an inventory.....

The list is long and treasured... My children.. Griffin, Jackie, Cori, Brett, Kylie and Ethan, I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a mother and for the special relationships I cherish with each of my kids... My sweet little grand daughter Henli. Henli called me last week to share her new find... She has found her voice and is laughing out loud... Oh my what a feeling it is to hear her laugh... She is such a blessing to each of us. We are all crazy about the divine Miss 'H'. Great friends... Oh my ... have I been blessed with amazing friends that support me, inspire and encourage me every day... good health, the overwhelming feeling of peace and accomplishment in my life, the incredible opportunity to return to school and expand my knowledge, every day is like pulling a new treasure out of the treasure chest..Being afforded the opportunity to coordinate Project HOPE for Mesa Community College. I am grateful for the gift of understanding, wisdom and hard work. I am grateful for the a heart that feels compassion for others. I have been blessed with an amazing sense of humor. I am grateful for my positive outlook on life and determination to accomplish my goals and live my dreams.

I am in awe of the daily intervention of the divine in my life. The magical way my questions and prayers are answered... The incredible people who walk into my life at exactly the right time.. The extraordinary opportunities I have to give back and serve those around me.

We've all heard the old adage...."Is your glass half empty.... or half full"? How do you live your life on a daily basis... Is your life a journey of wonder and thanksgiving.... or a hardship filled with unhappiness? There is an art to living in a state of constant thanksgiving....

My wish for each of you this "Thanksgiving Day 2010" is to cultivate the art of 'thanksgiving' in your daily lives...it all starts with an inventory... Get a head start as the holiday season is upon us. Take the time to feed and nourish your spirit through the art of 'Thanksgiving'

Live with Intensity and Purpose...

Happy Thanksgiving...

Carla

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful you express such beauty and inspiration in your words and that you share it with us!
    Aloha and Hau'oli Lâ Ho'omaika'i!

    ReplyDelete