Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 31, 2010

A Year End Review.... a look back....

As I was listening to Christmas music this morning I started reflecting back on the extraordinary year I have enjoyed. My life is filled with love, prosperity and accomplishment. As I look back... it's been an incredible year.

Kylie turned 21 in January... A huge milestone. We had a party and celebrated 21 years of accomplishment! It's hard to imagine she is working towards completing her college education... She loves life.. and jumps right in.

Ethan turned 18 in March.. A milestone that my children are all grown and continuing to follow their dreams. It's as if in the twinkling of an eye... 29 years has gone by... reaffirming that life is fleeting and precious. We celebrated with gusto with the Kurtz family in San Diego... It was an treasured time at the beach!

I had the great opportunity to connect with Professor Thomas Nazario, who not only teaches Law at the University of San Francisco Law School, he's founded 'The Forgotten International'. Through several emails, phone calls and heart felt conversations he came to Phoenix to meet me and speak at Mesa Community College to encourage each of us to live a meaningful life and get involved within our communities to make a difference. Tom is an extraordinary man and the future opportunities his friendship will afford me are priceless.

After Tom came to speak in April, I was invited to a VIP reception to meet and talk with Dr. Jill Biden, ASU President Michael Crow along with other national and local dignitaries. It was a humbling experience to be selected to represent MCC. Jill Biden is gracious, well educated and passionate about education and affording everyone the opportunity to attend community college. It was an amazing evening and the contacts I made once again will be priceless and I continue my educational pursuits.

May was a time of celebration as my rigorous spring semester came to a close... However this time our celebration was centered around Ethan and his graduating from High School. We were blessed to have his dad and his family here supporting Ethan. It was a great week end. During the week I had the great privilege to be a part of the MCC team who hosted the Community College Conference on Civic Engagement. An incredible opportunity to meet faculty and administrators from all over the country.

June 21, 2010 we welcomed sweet Henli Grace Albers into this world. There are no words I can share that can express my feelings of being present with Brett and Cori when precious Henli was born. The miracle of birth is simply extraordinary... there are no words but my heart has been enlarged and I fell in love once again.. Between Brett, Cori, Kylie and myself there were many tears of gratitude shed! Our family is so blessed and Henli has been such a joy! The greatest reward is watching your daughter transform into a tender loving new mother... Little Miss not only are you loved beyond measure.... you are being raised by extraordinary parents!

The beginning of September brought a fall semester... more incredible opportunities for me to speak at conferences and present Project HOPE and continue my studies..

September also brought immense joy with the engagement of Griffin and Jackie. Not only am I gaining a beautiful daughter in law, I am gaining new family who are incredible.. Again we has a family have been blessed beyond measure...

I turned 50.. In December... My kids planned a "surprise party" for me. It was the perfect evening filled with the people who I love and enrich my life. They bought me a Tiffany Heart... with "MOM" engraved on the front.. and "We are Honored" on the back... I have been so blessed... I look back over the past 15 years of raising children as a single mom... and smile...I have accomplished much... and raised 4 amazing children who are kind, passionate and accomplished...I am now enjoying the dividends... of raising a "Great Family"!!!!!!!!! My happy dance would not be complete with out thanking Greg.. and especially Ann who has been a wonderful step mother to my children. Ann thank you for your kindness, acceptance and unconditional love... together we have raised an amazing family...

December brought the honor of being chosen the most 'Distinguished' member of our Phi Theta Kappa Chapter, the National Honor Society for Community Colleges. This honor is most precious because I was nominated and chosen from a group of my peers. A special thank you to the officers and their unrelenting support of Project HOPE.

We spent Christmas Eve at Griffin and Jackie's this year... starting a host of new Holiday traditions for our family. I don't recall a better Holiday season. I love the Christmas season. I am so very grateful for my Savior who was born that day in the City of David.. for his constant companionship, love and encouragement. I love the sweet Christmas music that fills my heart.. I love the lights, the baking, the shopping, spending time together with each of my kids, skyping with Cori, Brett and Henli, new friendships and the new opportunities I am blessed with.

As I look back over the past year.... I have come to understand myself and my abilities. This past year has brought new perspectives, greater understanding and wisdom.

As I close out 2010... I would like to share a wish that a sweet woman gave me yesterday... As I was wishing her A Happy New Year... she turned to me and smiled.. I then asked her what she would wish for... she said without hesitation "World Peace".. we smiled together and I said... wouldn't that be something... she then said... actually how about starting with families... Peace within our families would be the greatest gift....I agreed.

I wish each of you A Happy New Year filled with hope, reconciliation and prosperity!

Happy New Year!

Live with Intensity and Purpose!

Carla

Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment