Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Kylie 22 years later.......

I remember standing by the window, watching the big snow flakes fall from a dark sky. Salt Lake was under a blizzard warning as the snow, wind and cold made for miserable conditions. Normally a 'snow day' would have been a welcome reprieve from my hectic life just not today. I was expecting "Kylie" and was scheduled to have a C-section early in the morning at Alta View Hospital.... roughly 25 minutes away... so the decision was made to stay at my in laws at the time who lived directly across the street from the hospital. No sense risking being pregnant until spring.

Kylie Elaine Schmidt made her debut on January 12th, 1989 at 7:30 am. Everything was perfect, Kylie was healthy....... It wasn't long before Griffin and Cori came to see Kylie. At the time they were more excited about the prospects of building snowmen, snowball fights and maybe a snow day or two. Both kids were anxious for Kylie and I to come home... Family and friends took their chances and braved the winter weather and come to see Kylie. I had bought her a pair of pink and white long thermal under ware, teamed with her pink bow she was just gorgeous and stylin. Her features where itty bitty small... her hair was light and seemed to have natural curl.

As she grew it became obvious Kylie would require surgery on her eye to repair a muscle as she started Kindergarten. Kylie was a trooper and would spend the next many years wearing glasses.. (she would tell you goggles) but I assure you... she was always fashionable. Her wild curly hair became one of her staples. One of her best qualities is the kind heart she was blessed with. Kylie is every one's friend. No one is ever excluded..and many times Kylie chose to befriend those with physical limitations. Kylie has been such a joy in our lives. Growing up in Sioux Falls... Kylie had a best friend who lived across the street... Kayla...and Kylie were inseparable and the very best of friends. They attended different schools but always made time to catch up on the day's happenings. Summers were spent at Lewis Park.. playing games..riding bikes, swimming at Laural Oaks, walking up to TCBY yogurt...and of course sleep overs...

It's been 10 years since our move to Arizona...and Kylie has grown up... 22 years later... She is a gorgeous young woman with a future so bright.. I often joke with her..to wear her sunglasses continually. From cheer leading, to playing basketball for Kino Jr. High, running track for Westwood..to spending her first summer out of high school studying abroad in Prague. Kylie has always taken advantage of the opportunities that have come her way no matter how difficult at times.

As I reflect back on the short 22 years... what a privilege I have had... being able to provide a home, love and guidance for her. There are moments so precious that only the heart understands... I have been blessed to be a part of those 'milestone' moments...the 'firsts' that only come along once in a life time... her first school dance, her first basketball game, winning her first student body election, her first day of high school, the boy with the blue hat.. her first prom..finding the perfect dress.. planning the perfect evening, driving, and then driving with friends, braces, graduation, studying abroad, Sun's games.. the laughs (yogurt pants)... the tears (when life happens)... the disagreements (boys)... the distance...the sweet closeness that only a mother and daughter share...Your life has become a grand adventure... I am cheering you on! You have the ability to accomplish anything you desire! Your gifts and talents are many..continue to follow your path... and your dreams will come true!

Kylie, you have encouraged me to take classes and dream again... We have spent time studying, talking about life, relationships and dreams, we have been to see Rascal Flatts, we were both there for Cori when Henli was born, we have had the good fortune to making so many great memories... Kylie you have grown into a beautiful young woman... who takes advantage of the opportunities placed before you (like going to BYU's Homecoming after meeting him in Prague).. yet you stay true to yourself and beliefs, while understanding your priorities and holding fast to your values.

Kylie.. I love to hear you laugh when you say... Mom can you believe I am 22???? The real answer is ... NO Kylie I can't believe 22 years has gone by so quickly... I am so proud of you! You are living your life and enjoying every minute.. You always have something or someone new happening in your life... You make life happen...Your positive energy will continue bring you incredible opportunities..Kylie, your brothers and sisters adore you! Little Miss thinks you are the 'bomb'.... You are loved so many..

I love you Kylie...and I am grateful for the small window of opportunity I have been given to be your mother. You are simply delightful, I understand you have been on loan to me from above... You understand where you came from, why you are here on earth and most importantly where you are going when you leave this life.

On your day... Happy Birthday Yip...May all of your dreams come true!

Most of all... continue to live your life with Intensity and Purpose~

I love you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment