Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 31, 2010

'Just'~free from self-interest or bias........

I was driving to meet a friend for yogurt last night. I couldn't help watching the incoming storm. It's funny how much attention a little wind, thunder, rain and lightening get during the summer monsoon season. I turned down the radio and turned my thoughts to those I know who are struggling in one aspect of life or another. I couldn't think of anyone I know who isn't experiencing a storm of some magnitude.

The word that kept coming to mind was 'Just'. The Dictionary defines 'Just' as:legally or ethically right proper or fitting. Fair to all parties, free from favoritism or self-interest or bias or deception... Then I again reflected on the struggles of those I know, a young wife who lost her husband unexpectedly in death 10 days ago delivering a little son today who will bear this father name. A friend who is battling cancer with courage and grace. A friend who agonizes over a premature baby who fights for his life. A friend who lives in abuse, silence and fear. She feels there is no way out. A young friend who is in denial about his alcohol addition. A friend who lost her son to a drug overdose.

I don't think its uncommon when we are faced with very difficult trials to ask and even demand WHY ME? Are there really just people who are able to without bias understand our inner most feelings and motives? Are we, as women true advocates for each other? Have you every asked yourself why 2 women are called friends, while 3 women are called competition? How different would our communities be today if women supported each other justly? I can only imagine... and think of the influence and example our children would have to live by. In light of the challenges that surround each of us, there is safe common harbor which is treating each other justly, free from self-interest and bias. Lives would be changed, families would be enriched and our communities would be strengthened .... collectively we are so much more effective and stronger than we could ever be individually.

If I strive to be just, do I look into the eyes, hearts and lives of those around me with love and unconditional acceptance? I believe if we are willing to open our eyes, ears and hearts we can live our lives free from self-interest and bias towards others, which in turn create a deeper desire to get involved sharing our gifts and talents with those around us. Stop and evaluate your treatment of others and how others treat you. Tomorrow make a special effort to be 'just' with someone in your life, then share your experience with me. Together we can change the world, through one act of kindness, understanding, love and simply being there. Interestingly enough... when your aware and in the moment you will be blessed with many opportunities to assist another. Be aware of inspirations you feel...

Life with Intensity and Purpose...

Carla

2 comments:

  1. First of all, Carla, I want to thank you for taking the time to write this blog and share your insights, wisdom, thoughts and inspiration.
    It helps us dig a little deeper for understanding and possibly gives us opportunities to share/serve/support/love our sisters (actually, everyone). Hopefully I am speaking for all of those who read your blog!

    There is a Hawaiian word that is commonly used in the islands. The word is 'Pono', translated loosely as 'righteousness'. It does, however, have myriad words defining it, including the word 'just'. As soon as I started reading your post today, the word pono came into my mind.

    Personally, I am finally getting where I can be more 'pono' when it comes to (not) judging others.
    I am truly seeing the benefits of looking at each person as a human being that only desires to be loved, understood and accepted. It's all about putting ourselves in their shoes.

    I also think 'pono' means love. And loving our fellow (wo)man is the lowest (hence easiest to find!) common denominator of our human existence.

    This is the state motto of Hawaii: 'Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono' or "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness".
    If we changed it to say 'Ua Mau ke Ea o ka LAHUI KANAKA i ka Pono' or "The life of humankind is perpetuated in righteousness", wouldn't that be a fabulous motto for the entire planet to live by?!

    I always pray for opportunities to serve, and each time something comes my way, I only notice the nugget of joy that I receive in showing love to those in need. I am filling my own 'pot of gold' and in turn I willingly share those blessings when I can! Yes, Carla, I believe in KARMA!

    For me, I have found I usually don't regret trying to help someone. I appreciate the growth that comes from opening my heart, mind and soul. If we can be in a place where we are beyond the 'selfish' ego (where we don't take it 'personal' or get our feelings hurt), there can be changes that expand the awareness of all.

    I know none of this is profound, but maybe adding a little knowledge or personal experience can help someone get to their 'next level'.

    Life is GOOD! Especially when we know we are all on the same team!

    Aloha ahiahi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Alikona,

    Thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom. I love the state motto of Hawaii... and to strive for change to include 'the life of humankind' is a great thought. Together 'humankind' working together for the greater good is the 'only' way our world will change. I absolutely believe in Karma, random acts of kindness and paying our good fortune forwards is positive energy in motion. You live in paradise...thank you for sharing a part of yourself... I am so grateful I have a friend in Hawaii.... Aloha ...

    ReplyDelete