Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 2, 2010

525,600 minutes - how do you measure, a year?

I took a personal liberty this afternoon; I decided I was going to spend the afternoon with myself. I am leaving in the morning to spend a week with Cori, Brett and Henli. This chance meeting presented itself after weeks of a relentless summer school schedule, I wanted to decompress, regroup and recharged my spirit and breathe.
I have always had a love affair with the sun. I love to sit outside and feel the warm rays penetrate my entire body. For me the sun has been a constant companion, encouraging my healing while helping me pause and take notice of the life going on around me.

Armed with my Ray Bans, i-pod, beach towel and bottle of water, I set out for the pool to find myself. The cool pool water refreshes me as I watch a little hummingbird working hard to pollinate flowers. I stop and count my many blessings starting with my kids who create the center of my universe.…My i-pod on shuffle I head Donny Osmond start to sing….

”Season’s of Love” from Rent.
525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love.
Seasons of love.

I found myself reflecting on 525,600 minutes…sounds like a lot…Yet every year those minutes become more precious and fleeting, I wonder how many of those precious minutes I spent worrying about a situation that never comes to pass, how could I return to school, what about my finances, my kids, how could I make this work… The one variable I never took into consideration was... regardless of whether I was working towards my goals or worrying about them, time was not going to wait for me. I am happy to report my return to school has been an incredible experience, 3 semesters into school I am a 4.0 student, I have secured the perfect part time job, my kids completely support and encourage me while working towards their own educational dreams. Life has been 'Serendipitous'.

As the words to the song continued to play…I found myself smiling… I asked myself how you, Carla measure a year do. Here is my version of …”Season’s of Life”… In daylights, in sunsets, in laughter, in tears, in friendships, in touches, in hugs, in kisses, in kindness, in prayers, in gratitude, in service, in teaching, in learning… Every minute of every day can be filled with non essentials, like worry, fear,anger, jealousy, holding grudges, gossiping and judging all actions that will rob you of your precious time. The choice is yours.

As women our universe is centered around our children, spouse, friends, community service within schools, churches and civic duties. We sacrifice for employers, providing constant care and nurturing to everyone except ourselves. By the end of the day, week, month and year there is no more energy to expend on ourselves. Do you feel exhausted, frustrated, angry, taken advantage of, resentful and weighed down at times? It's no wonder... Your cup is empty and your heart is heavy.

Ladies…this is no way to live the measure of your creation. There is no shame in nurturing yourself. As a matter of fact your very existence depends on your taking the time to love yourself. In fact you cannot fully love another until you fall in love with yourself first. I believe the greatest love affair we experience in life is with ourselves. Today I see my life as sands in a hour glass. Each grain representing a precious moment. The challenge for anyone is to stay in the present moment, not spending precious resources trying to change the past. Keep in mind Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. Stop and take an inventory of what fills your hour glass. Do you fill each moment with anger, judgment and regrets or are your minutes filled with love, kindness and peace? In life there are no roll over minutes.. Start today by taking the time you need to understand who you are, what you need and how you plan to embrace and make use of your 525,600 minutes…

Today commit to becoming aware of your minutes and how you spend them.

Live with Intensity and Purpose!

Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment