I have seen Eat Pray Love twice. I don't think there is a women who has seen the movie who couldn't relate Liz Gilbert's story. From the moment we arrive on the planet is seems our destiny is clearly being guided if not forced down a narrow path of limited traditional choices... girlfriend, marriage, wife, limited career, keeper of the house, the check book and trying to find an identity and personal meaning to dreams lost many years ago. It takes a lot of courage to live an authentic life. Not every women I know wants to be married, nor have children, nor be a stay at home mom. Many of the women I know have sacrificed their dreams to marry, work to put a husband through school, raise children, run a busy household while holding down a job, community and church responsibilities. In the end many are left with the feeling of why me? Some women are fulfilled with the traditional expectations and lifestyle, while more and more women are finding there is little satisfaction left over after years of self sacrifice. As women we are constantly weighing, measuring, nipping, tucking, coloring and filling the huge empty spaces in our lives...As women it's easy to get caught up in the frenzy of I need more 'externally' to not only survive but to feel better about myself. I was just thinking how funny it is that we call.... enhancement surgery "Plastic" surgery. Does changing the shape of your nose, the size of your boobs, or chemically filling in your laugh lines .... equal happiness?
Watching Julia Roberts Italy experience brought back such warm memories of my travels to Italy. What a beautiful country and culture. I loved my time in Rome, Florence, Portofino, Pisa and Tuscany. I loved the warmth of the people, the simpleness of the food and the zest for daily living Italians understand. I loved the comment that Julia Roberts makes about having a relationship with her pizza. It's a shame in my own life, I don't always take the time to relish a new experience or try something new... It's easy to get stuck in a rut hurry, easy and meaningless. I challenge you to take the time when you are doing something you love to do! Enjoy! I believe the term is "La Dolce Vita" (Italian for "the sweet life" or "the good life"
I loved watching the transformation of forgiveness through meditation, prayer and self examination. It's not easy to quiet a mind filled with others voices that are constantly shouting ... your not good enough, your to fat, your not pretty enough, you will never be good enough, you will never be happy, love will never find you... I have come to understand the old cliche "Misery Loves Company".. with that being said... it takes courage to step away from family, friends, coworkers who are destructive, manipulative and toxic. What I have learned is that removing myself from such toxic relationships has not only quieted my mind, I have come to realize just how wrong each and every one of those hurtful messages was. I have learned to quiet my mind, meditate daily and harness my energy into accomplishing my goals and desires. Prayer is a powerful reminder of our ability to communicate with God on a daily basis. Pray does change things... most of all it changes the one praying...
Love was my favorite part of the movie.... Just as in 'real' life.... love comes at the end of completing the difficult lessons we all must learn. It's impossible to love completely while holding a grudge, or choosing not to forgive. Like everything in life... we tend to hold ourselves hostage, feeling guilty and willing to take on the sins of others.. as martyrs feeling like this is our DUTY..... As women nowhere in the "Women's Handbook" does it state... We are solely responsible for the happiness of others, while sacrificing our happiness and joy..... I challenge each of you my friends... Love yourselves enough to fill your cup! Take a class, learn a language, read a good book, travel, have a relationship with your pizza!!!!!!!!! Learn to nurture your spirit daily.... When you love yourself completely... you are able to love those around you more fully!
I believe each of us is on the planet for a very specific purpose. Each of us possess unique gifts and talents... when combined with humanity create one huge tapestry of life. Each of us will own a little piece of that great work as we contribute our color, flare and personality.
I believe as women and sisters... our work is monumental and crucial to the survival of our homes, communities, country and collectively our planet. Women have the natural tendency to love without conditions, provide service to those in need and recognize those precious teaching moments when hearts become one and lives are transformed.
I know with ever fiber of my being... Great love does exist for each one of us. Yes there is a Jack for every Jill...For those of you who are searching for love, I wish you all find your "Felipe".. You may not have to travel to Bali.. just far enough into your heart that you are able to recognize what you need to work on, repair, forgive and let go!... I think the greater lesson is not settling for love... but learning to Eat, Pray and Love.
Live with Intensity and Purpose!
Carla

Carla,
ReplyDeleteI started to read Eat, Pray, Love but just couldn't get into it. I haven't seen the movie either. But what you describe here is so relevant to a nonfiction book that I just finished reading. Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read. It won't make it to the big screen but it does question the media's image of what women should look like. Roth also talks about the relationship that women have with food. They are often permitters or restrictors (with the potential for flipping back and forth). She questions the multi-billion dollar diet industry. I just wish that we as women could feel better about themselves without the need to live up to ridiculous standards set by people who really don't care about us. Roth talks about the importance of meditation and living a spirit-filled life. And like the book/movie that you talked about, it is only when you love yourself for who are you that you gain the capacity to love others. Thanks for sharing this blog with us. We all need to work together to end "fat talk" and find something a little more authentic to talk about! You go girl!
Oh Carla, you write so beautifully what many of us are thinking - well, I KNOW it's what I am thinking!
ReplyDeleteI thought the movie was wonderful and decided instantly that I need to go to Bali (like every other woman in the theater!). But, alas, I am in my own wonderful paradise trying daily to forgive myself, love myself and learn what it is I'm supposed to learn.
Thank you for reminding me of the 'good stuff'.
p.s. what a coincidence I started reading Women Food God TODAY!
My Dear Friends...It's with women like you that we can make all the difference in the lives of women everywhere. Eat Love Pray and Women Food and God were both great reads... their message is so similar.. I agree with you Anne.. the diet industry is a multi billion dollar marketing machine... I couldn't help but smile when I read in People Mag today that Heidi Montag is regretting her decision to have watermelon size breast implants put in, she is going to have them taken out and replaced with smaller implants... She said the pain is more than she can bear..... Can you imagine living in a world that celebrated women, their shapes and sizes versus creating a plastic world that traps women. I am a firm believer in both cases... God and Love are imperative for success in this life. Anne, Alikona I send my love to both of you today!
ReplyDelete