Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 20, 2010

Effort and Accomplishment...

“I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible."
Henry Ford

This afternoon I will be recognized as one of the 2010 MCC Service Scholarship recipients. This morning as I am sitting here reflecting over the past year I would like to share my thoughts on effort and accomplishment.

I returned to school exactly one year ago.. I will tell you I was never more clear of any decision in my life than I was with returning to school to finish what I had started 30 years ago. I would be lying if I told you, I use to wonder why in the heck I didn't take my schooling more serious... or why I wasn't a better student then, would my life have been easier as a single educated mother? I think not and here is what I can tell you with every fiber of my being...The greatest lessons I have learned in my life were taught in 'earth school'. I have been blessed by the influence of great teachers, while experiencing the disappointment of others. Many of my lessons had to learned and relearned and then reapplied... You see I was not always the student I am today. For instance... the lessons of ego, forgiveness, judgment and trust have required more study and effort. I have also learned it is imperative you believe in yourself, your ability, your talents and gifts.

Effort is an interesting energy that surrounds each of us at every moment. The level of effort we place on any action or decision is completely up to us. The blessing with effort is... effort is an individual event.. Gandhi once said... You must be the change you wish to see in the world...he also said if you want more love.. you must give more love.. if you want more friends, you must be a better friend, if you want more peace in your life, you must be peaceful.. Our efforts in life directly effect the quality of our experiences, relationships, outcomes and lessons.

Accomplishment on the other hand is the reward for effort.. I made a conscious decision to return to school full time. I also understood that 'short term' financial sacrifices that would be required, but I also understand the future possibilities and opportunities far outweighed the fear of staying were I was. I made a commitment to myself, that I would always give my personal best in regards to my time, attention and effort to my studies. I have come to understand how that very disciplined effort translates to accomplishment. I have been asked to work on incredible projects, invited to meet national and local dignitaries while working with MCC faculty and college students through the Center for Service Learning.

I humbly acknowledge the unrelenting love and support of my children Griffin, Jackie, Brett, Cori, Sweet Henli, Kylie and Ethan... your efforts on my behalf are the reason for my extraordinary accomplishments, I love you all.

I have learned.. I am an excellent student capable of 4.0 effort and accomplishment.

Live with Intensity and Purpose!

Carla

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! But I must argue with the point that years ago you didn't think you were an educated single mother. If your children are even the slightest reflection of their mother, then you, my friend, are brilliant. Education is not preparation for life. It is life itself. (Dewey). Schooling happens in the classroom. Education happens when you live your life with intensity and purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend.. thank you for your support, encouragement and acknowledgment. There is nothing better than receiving inspiration from someone I admire so much... and yes... you are so right... Education happens when you live your life with Intensity and Purpose, thank you for reminding me...

    ReplyDelete