Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Justice Studies, Kylie and Relationships....

Going back to school has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. One of the perks of going to Mesa Community College is, I've had the opportunity to take a couple of classes with Kylie (my youngest daughter). This semester we are both taking "Justice Studies". When our class started on Monday.. Kylie let me know as we were walking into the classroom she was going to call me 'Carla'.. She didn't want everyone knowing I was her mom...

As class got underway.. Our instructor (who by the way has her JD and PhD) started making her way through her syllabus when she stopped and clearly defined her expectations about classroom etiquette. She made is clear nothing annoys her more than cell phones ringing, cell phones left to vibrate on the desktop, texting under the table and getting up to leave class to take a call. Keep in mind our instructor is a former prosecutor. She has a thriving career and she doesn't pull out her phone to make or take a call during our 50 minutes of class. Just then a woman sitting in the front row across from Kylie and I started to argue a passionate case about... I have children, I am a mother, I need to be available if my children call, I need to have access to my phone all the time.... She was very dramatic in her plea... After a few minutes of an unsuccessful attempt to sway our instructor... Our instructor asked for a show of hands how many other parents were in the room. I slowly raised my hand... and then my instructor turned and asked me how many children and their ages... I smiled and said... I don't need to worry about my daughter calling... I enrolled her in class with me...

We all had a great laugh... My instructor commented on how much Kylie and I looked alike... ( a smiled) and she asked if we were really mother and daughter.. I smiled and said yes...she then said... if your THAT important... you would have someone else answering your calls.... TRUE... it's funny how we value self importance at times..

It's going to be a great semester..

On another note... yesterday August 24... was my oldest son's birthday... Griffin is simply amazing. We had the precious opportunity of getting together to really communicate as a family and reevaluate our goals... It's interesting how difficult communication can be at times, especially with those we love the most. I learned a great lesson from my son last night...Griffin is a peaceable soul.. and old soul... he is wise, kind and insightful. I find it ironic that in the midst of our lives, so much noise and chatter are deafening, yet nothing is really being said, heard or accomplished most of the time. Communication is an art... learning to actively listen is difficult at times, learning to place ourselves in an other's shoes is almost impossible. Yet when we come together with no ego or agenda .. we can allow ourselves to really be present in the moment... and communicate what is in our hearts. In the end... both our lives and relationships are greatly enhanced... After all don't we all want many of the same things? Health, Prosperity, Close Relationships with our Loved Ones?

I adore my children. I am so grateful for the relationships that we all enjoy. It's taken time, practice and patience to get to this point. Relationships are in constant need of love, forgiveness, kindness and daily nurturing... In order for relationships to be successful.. they require daily attention, time and repairing. If your cup is over flowing and life is extraordinary... I would bet your personal relationships are incredible... It's easy to gauge someones success based on the relationships they enjoy..

Life comes at you quickly and passes even faster... Take the time to really listen to those you love... really communicate... step up your game... make more effort to right any wrongs you have hanging out there... Love like there is no tomorrow...

Live with Intensity and Purpose...


Carla

3 comments:

  1. What a cute little story my friend! You have a sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carla, I like your post. Hayden is starting high school and I am SO nervous that I wil lose him in all the high school stuff and he won't talk to me anymore. (He doesn't talk much now) I will try to always listen when he comes to me and hopefully he will keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liz it's always a good day when I have you reading my blog!!!

    Wendy I can't even believe Hayden is starting High School??? Oh My Goodness... Just keep checking in with him... I have learned so much after 27 years of parenting... in most cases I was apologizing... It's so cool when your kids get old enough to trust you... and really talk to you... it's taken me along time to earn their trust... and I have learned more from them.

    Communication is the key... Ego aside... and communicate with love and encouragement... Wendy you are a good mommy! You and Steve make a great team... You will be fine... and Breathe....

    I sure miss you! I would love to see you and meet your kids!

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete